Stefanie A. Singer concentrates her practice on professional liability defense and insurance coverage matters. She represents attorneys, brokers and other professionals in complex, high-exposure claims in both state and federal courts, and in disciplinary proceedings before state grievance committees.
Ms. Singer has served as monitoring and coverage counsel to London and U.S. insurers on various professional liability insurance programs, assisting in drafting insurance policies, endorsements, applications, and risk management guidelines.
- New York
- U.S. District Court
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- Central District of California
- St. John’s University – J.D.
- University of California, Los Angeles – B.A.
- Obtained pre-discovery summary judgment dismissal of a legal malpractice claim arising out of an underlying slip and fall accident by successfully asserting the assumption of risk doctrine, which was not raised by the underlying defendants.
- Successfully defended a veteran former prosecutor and criminal defense attorney in a legal malpractice action involving the handling of the defense of an underlying sexual abuse case; obtained dismissal with prejudice on appeal.
- Obtained CPLR 3211 dismissal of legal malpractice and fraud counterclaims against commercial litigation attorney who commenced a fee action against his former clients.
- After filing of a CPLR 3211 motion to dismiss, Stefanie achieved voluntary dismissal of a legal malpractice complaint alleging lost pension benefits estimated to be in excess of $1 million.
- Negotiated favorable settlement of claim against title agency in action commenced by title insurer for indemnification and contribution.
- Successfully extricated attorney from legal malpractice and breach of fiduciary duty claims in connection with the attorney’s role as escrow agent over an account containing $10.3 million arising out of high-profile commercial litigation.
- Served as an expert witness in insurance coverage disputes, including proceedings pending in the United Kingdom applying New York and California law.
- Selected to Super Lawyers, Rising Stars (NYC Metro) for 2016, 2017, and 2018
- Reducing Legal Malpractice Risks: Preserving a Statute of Limitations Defense, New York State Bar Association Journal, Vol. 87, No. 5. (June 2015)
Defamation Claims Arising out of the Attorney-Client Relationship and Internet Reviews, USI Affinity Insurance Focus (April 24, 2017)
- Lectured at the Fall 2015 Washington Association of Professional Guardians (WAPG) Conference in Seattle, Washington on the “Best Practices for Mitigating Risk” for professional guardians
- Risk Management for Professional Fiduciaries, Professional Fiduciary Management Certificate Program, University of California, Riverside Extension (February 2017)
- Guest Lecturer at St. John’s University School of Law, Representing Clients in Mediation (November 21, 2017
- Presenter, St. John’s University School of Law, Spring CLE Weekend (February 10, 2018)
- Guest Lecturer at St. John’s University (April 2, 2018)