Perry Sofferman focuses his practice on corporate, intellectual property and international law. Mr. Sofferman represents clients in business transactions including corporate structuring, reorganizations, acquisitions, shareholder and member disputes, trademark, copyright, licensing, software, technology, publishing, privacy, HIPAA and export compliance. He is the author of the forthcoming Limited Liability Company Forms and Practice Manual, published by Data Trace Publishing, which is the authoritative work on Florida LLCs.
He previously served as General Counsel for a technology manufacturer and Counsel for Scholastic Inc., the Fortune 500 global media and publishing company. Mr. Sofferman has negotiated the agreements for several of the most successful properties in publishing history. As a practitioner with extensive in-house experience, he brings a unique perspective to the needs of his clients and focuses on practical solutions, risk avoidance and strategic planning.
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- New York Law School, J.D.
“Recipient, Best Advocate, Northeast Region of the United States, National Appellate Advocacy Competition, American Bar Association,
Recipient, New York Law School Moot Court Award for Distinguished Service,
Recipient, New York Law School Morris Orland Moot Court Award for Overall Excellence”
- Zicklin School of Business of Baruch College of the City University of New York, MBA
- The University of Alabama School of Law, LL.M., Tax Law
- New York University, M.A., B.A.
University Honors Scholar; Founders’ Day Award Recipient
- American Bar Association, Sections on Intellectual Property and Business Law
- Florida Bar
- Education Committee of the Business Brokers of Florida / South Florida
- Chairman of the Subcommittee on Tax Law
- Chairman of the Subcommittee on Liquor Licenses
- Anti-Defamation League, Glass Leadership Institute
- Adjunct Professor, Introduction to Business, Global Strategy and Business Policy and Personnel Adminstration, Florida Atlantic University, College of Business, 2007 – 2010
- Guest Lecturer, Defamation, Right of Privacy, Right of Publicity and the First Amendment, New York University, October 2004, 2005
- Adjunct Professor, Strategic Management, Business Law, Metropolitan College of New York, MBA Program, 2001 – 2003
- Preparation and negotiation of complex formation agreements for corporations and limited liability companies
- Handle all day to day legal issues for client companies, such as internal policies, advertising, contests and sweepstakes, merchandising, leasing, joint-ventures, regulatory compliance and agreements with governmental agencies
- Provided corporate and tax assistance on major acquisitions
- Prepare and negotiate complex partnership and limited partnership agreements within the private equity and fund spaces
- Prepared and negotiated licensing and other agreements with many of the world’s top content providers including film studios, publishers, production companies, television networks, newspapers and satellite providers
- Prepared and negotiated agreements for various distribution channels including, but not limited to, streaming, satellite, SaaS, PaaS, and OEM
- Reviewed content for libel, right of privacy and right of publicity issues
- Represent and advise numerous international companies on corporate and related issues associated with entering the U.S. market
- Negotiate complex finance agreements with banks and other lenders
- Work with U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Department of Treasury, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on behalf of various companies and organizations
- Prepare and negotiate numerous international distribution and licensing agreements
- Do I Need to Pay Attention to my Business’s Software License Agreements?
- Are You Sure Your Business is Protecting You from Being Held Personally Liable?
- It’s Not a [Trade] Secret if Everyone Knows
- COVID-19’s Impact on the M&A Market: Measures and Precautions, Daily Business Review
- How to cope when the business or service provider you rely on goes out of business,Washington Post, ft. Perry Sofferman
- Perry Sofferman and Maritza Gomez Join Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck As Partners in Ft. Lauderdale Office; Firm Launches New Corporate and Intellectual Property Practice
- Author of the forthcoming Limited Liability Company Forms and Practice Manual, published by Data Trace Publishing, which is the authoritative work on Florida LLCs
- Author, “Not Protecting Your Data You Are Doing a Disservice,” Daily Business Review, April 4, 2015
- Featured as “Dealmaker”, Daily Business Review, February 4, 2015
- Quoted in numerous publications including Washington Post, Daily Business Review, Tech Transfer Central, E-Commerce Times, Palm Beach Post, Apple’s Macworld Magazine and Florida Trend
- Speaker, “Key Legal Issues for Emerging Businesses,” 2017 Jim Moran Institute Business and Leadership Conference, June 2017
- Speaker, “Your Client Got The Book Deal, Now What?,” American Bar Association 31stAnnual Intellectual Property Conference, Washington, DC (Bethesda, Maryland), April 2016
- Speaker, “Pre-Compliance, What you NEED to Know to Stay Penalty Free,” National Customs Brokers and Forwarders Association of America Webinar, February 2015
- Speaker, “Data Security for Business,” Fort Lauderdale, Miami, December, 2014
- Speaker, “Trademark & Copyright: Lions, Tigers and Friends: Social Media Law Roundup,” American Bar Association 29th Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference, April 2014
- Speaker, “Holding the Creepy Line – Privacy Law,” Seminole Hard Rock, Hollywood, Florida, November 2013