Michel Morgan concentrates her practice in the areas of insurance coverage and hospitality industry liability defense. In this practice area Ms. Morgan manages state and federal court lawsuits on behalf of corporations facing exposure against multi-million-dollar judgments for professional and commercial general liability claims.
Ms. Morgan handles the defense and settlement negotiation of various types of claims that arise from these suits, such as personal injury, construction defect, employment practices liability, director and officer liability, trademark and trade dress infringement and personal and advertising injury claims. Ms. Morgan actively and successfully seeks dismissal of these suits at the summary judgment level, and eagerly defends them at trial when necessary.
Ms. Morgan also effectively evaluates business risks for insurance companies and their insureds and provides strategic direction that minimizes or avoids extra-contractual exposure in the management of their legal affairs.
In addition, Ms. Morgan provides advice and counsel to foreign hospitality industry interests, such as hotels, casinos, and tour operators, on risk management to minimize exposure against liability and judgments in foreign jurisdictions.
Ms. Morgan grew up in Montego Bay, Jamaica where she worked in the Travel and Tourism industry on behalf of aviation and hospitality industry corporations before returning to the United States.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court
- Southern District of Florida
- Middle District of Florida
- Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL – J.D. and M.B.A
- University of Maryland, University College, College Park, MD – B.S.
- Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton FL – B.A.
- Florida Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Represented GEICO General Insurance Company in third-party bad faith suit brought by auto accident victim seeking extra-contractual damages for failure to settle personal injury claim against insured. The case was remanded for dismissal for violation of Florida’s Non-Joinder statute. GEICO Gen. Ins. Co. v.Martinez, 240 So. 3d 43 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 2018) reh’g denied 2018 Fla. App. LEXIS 5882 (Dist. Ct. App. Feb. 28, 2018)
- Represented GEICO General Insurance Company in third-party bad faith suit brought by auto accident victim seeking extra-contractual damages for failure to settle personal injury claim against insured. The District Court granted summary judgment for the insurance company which was affirmed by the Eleventh Circuit. Feijoo v. GEICO Gen. Ins. Co., 137 F. Supp. 3d 1320 (S.D. Fla. 2015) aff’d 678 F. App’x 862 (11th Cir. 2017)
- Represented GEICO General Insurance Company in breach of contract action brought against it by insured. The trial court granted summary judgment for the insurance company which was affirmed by the Third District. Weinberg v. GEICO Gen. Ins. Co., 212 So. 3d 1134 (Fla. 3d DCA 2017)
- Represented GEICO Indemnity Company in breach of contract action brought against it by insured. The case was dismissed by the trial court and affirmed by the Third District. Jackman v. GEICO Indem. Co. 199 So. 3d 272 (Fla. 3d DCA 2016)