Michael A. Kaufman is the Co-Managing Partner of KDV. He joined KDV in 1992 and has played an instrumental role in helping to grow the organization from a 10 person labor and employment firm to a nationwide law firm with more than 100 attorneys in nine office locations across the U.S. Together with his co-managing partner Ivan J. Dolowich, Mr. Kaufman works to develop the talent and infrastructure needed to expand the firm’s services and practice disciplines.
Mr. Kaufman concentrates his legal practice in the areas of labor and employment law on behalf of management, class actions, risk management and commercial litigation. He has litigated more than 50 cases in front of the National Labor Relations Board and has handled over 100 labor and employment arbitrations and mediations. He has also successfully resolved 30 major class actions primarily involving wage and hour claims and has handled complex website accessibility claims arising under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). A frequent speaker at continuing legal education seminars and industry conferences, Mr. Kaufman regularly counsels private and insurance clients on topics such as social media in the workplace, labor and employment issues, regulatory compliance, cyber liability and litigation prevention strategies. Additionally, KDV, led by Mr. Kaufman, is a founding member of the Professional Liability Attorney Network (PLAN). PLAN is a national organization of independent, AV-rated law firms specializing in all aspects of professional liability and related-industry law. Mr. Kaufman recently graduated from the Harvard Business School YPO Executive Education Program where he participated in learning and continuing education programs in business and leadership.
Mr. Kaufman has applied his educational and event management skills to many philanthropic and professional organizations. As a former Division I soccer player, he enjoys serving as a youth soccer coach. Other hobbies include paddle boarding, boating, golfing, and skiing.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University – J.D.
- Lehigh University – B.A.
- Children’s Medical Fund – Board of Trustees
- PLUS Foundation – Fundraiser
- Youth Soccer Coach
- Pro-employer bent seen with NLRB’s new GOP majority, Business Insurance, ft. Michael Kaufman
- National Labor Relations Board chair a popular choice with business, Business Insurance, ft. Michael Kaufman
- Employers faced with pregnancy, transgender and social media risks: PLUS panel,
Business Insurance ft. Michael Kaufman – Nov 10, 2014
- Michael Kaufman quoted in “A Vik-tory for the Board?” published by Banking New York – Dec 26, 2012
- Michael Kaufman quoted by ABC News in “Fired or Resigned: Should CEOs Be Treated Differently?” – Oct 26, 2012
- Michael A. Kaufman Quoted in National Underwriter P&C Article “Do You Work With A Bullying Jerk?: EPLI-suit floodgates could open if states pass workplace anti-bullying laws” – Apr 1, 2011
- Supreme Court Ruling on Union Agreements Changes EPL Landscape, Property Casualty 360 – Jun 8, 2009
- Insurers Warned To Move Proactively To Avoid ADA Public Access Claims, Property Casualty 360 – Nov 14, 2005
- 11th Annual National Employment Practices Liability ExecuSummit : Wage and Hour Law: New Regulations, Coverage and Pitfalls
- Michael Kaufman and Ivan Dolowich, Moderators at PLAN Regional Meeting: New York ’16 : As the EPL World Turns: The Continuing Saga of Equal Pay, ADA, NLRB and LGTB
- 2014 PLUS Conference : Unusual, Extraordinary and Emerging EPLI Issues
- 9th Annual National Employment Practices Liability ExecuSummit : Problem Child States 2014: New York & New Jersey
- Michael Kaufman moderating a panel at the PLAN Regional Meeting: New York ’13 : Where We've Been and Where We're Going: Trends in E&O, D&O, and EPL
- PLAN Regional Workshop 2012 – New York : Navigating Ethical Dilemmas Between Defense Counsel, Claims Counsel and the Insured in EPL Claims
- 5th Annual Lawyers’ Professional Liability Risk Management Conference : Lateral Hires and Contract Attorneys - E&O and EPLI Concerns