Laura Ruettgers has spent the better part of her career representing insurance carriers in coverage disputes and litigation, including bad faith litigation. Understanding the high costs and anxiety involved in both litigated and non-litigated matters, Ms. Ruettgers strives to determine the most effective strategy to put her clients on the path toward resolution, whether by settlement or other disposition.
In addition to broad experience addressing high exposure losses in both primary and excess general liability contexts, Ms. Ruettgers is also adept at navigating the nuances of specialty lines such as cybersecurity and pollution policies as well as newer products written to address risks arising out of emerging technology such as drones and autonomous vehicles. Combined with her background in Coverage B, Excess, Professional, and Directors & Officers lines, this breadth of experience is frequently invaluable in the context of so-called “Package Policies,” which blend traditional and non-traditional coverages into a single form.
Ms. Ruettgers is well-versed in handling coverage issues arising in the context of class actions, multi-party and multi-district litigations. In addition to a nationwide coverage practice, Ms. Ruettgers has litigated coverage and bad faith matters in California and (pro hac vice) in Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Oregon, Nevada, and Washington.
- U.S. District Court
- Eastern District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of California
- Central District of California
- University of California, Hastings College of Law – J.D.
- University of California, Santa Barbara – B.A.
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM) – Environmental and Toxic Tort Committee
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) – Insurance Law, Toxic Torts, Environmental Law Committees
- American Bar Association (ABA) – Science and Technology Section, Artificial Intelligence & Robotics and Information Security Committees
- (Bay Area) Legal Services for Children