Karol Corbin Walker focuses her practice on business, commercial, employment, toxic tort and product liability litigation matters. Her clients have included many Fortune 500 corporations as well as other publicly and privately held corporations, financial institutions, entertainers and insurance companies.
In 1995 Ms. Walker became the first African American woman to attain partner status at any major New Jersey law firm. She is a litigator with trial experience in the State and Federal Courts. She has argued many cases before the Appellate Division of the Superior Court of New Jersey. Ms. Walker has also argued cases before the New Jersey Supreme Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.The United States District Court for the District of New Jersey has certified and appointed Ms. Walker as an arbitrator and mediator. The New Jersey Supreme Court has appointed her to several committees including: Committee on Judicial Evaluation, Committee on Civil Practice, Committee on Character, District Fee Arbitration and Committee on the Tax Court.
In 2003, Ms. Walker became the first African American President in the then 105-year history of the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA). She served as president for the 2003-2004 term, taking her oath of office before a record number of attendees. In 1998 she was the first African American appointed as Chair of the NJSBA’s most prestigious Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments Committee. Ms. Walker was the first African American female President of the National Conference of Bar Presidents, when she was installed in 2012. On June 18, 2015, she became the first African American President of the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey. In August 2015, Ms. Walker was the first New Jersey attorney appointed as Chair of the American Bar Association’s Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary (“SCFJ”). The SCFJ consists of 15 members who vet every Federal District and Circuit prospective judicial candidate pre-nomination, and every Supreme Court Justice post-nomination.
Ms. Walker previously served as a member of the New Jersey State Ethics Commission. The Commission is responsible for ensuring that state employees adhere to ethics rules. New Jersey Governor Jon S. Corzine appointed Ms. Walker to this Commission.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court
- Northern District of New York
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Third Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Seton Hall University School of Law – J.D.
- New Jersey City University – B.A., Political Science, with honors
- American Law Institute, Elected 2018
- New Jersey State Bar Association: President, 2003–2004; Chair, Judicial and Prosecutorial Appointments Committee, 1998-1999
- Garden State Bar Association: Former President
- Essex County Bar Association: Former Trustee
- Morris County Bar Association: Former Judicial Evaluation Committee Chair
- National Bar Association: Former Chair, Commercial Law Section, 2003-2007
- American Bar Association: House of Delegates Member; Chair, Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary, 2015-2016
- National Conference of Bar Presidents: President, 2012–2013
- Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey: President, 2015-2016
- American Bar Foundation: Life Fellow
- New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education: Former Board of Directors Member
- Listed in NJBIZ as one of New Jersey’s top 25 “Women of Influence” in 2003
- Listed in Business News New Jersey as one of New Jersey’s top 20 African American business people in 1999
- Listed in Law & Politics and New Jersey Monthly magazines’ Super Lawyer Section, 2005 – 2019
- Recognized as one of the “Top 50 Women Attorneys in New Jersey” by Law & Politics magazine, 2013 and 2015
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, 2006 – 2019
- Recipient of the National Bar Association’s Gertrude E. Rush Award, 2013