For nearly 30 years, Joseph R. Miele, Jr. has dedicated his practice to the representation of insurers and brokers in a variety of complex insurance coverage, claim handling and E&O disputes under a multitude of different insurance programs. He has particular expertise in First Party (including Cyber and “Builders Risk” coverage), Construction Defect, Environmental Contamination, Toxic-Torts and Employment Liability policy disputes. He has handled hundreds of coverage and claim handling matters individually and as regional counsel in State and Federal Courts at the trial court level and on appeal. He frequently lectures and counsels insurers and third-party administrators on insurance coverage law and proper claim handling practices.
Mr. Miele has vast experience in coverage matters arising from large and catastrophic damage claims from such things as hurricanes/storm events; environmental pollution (including CERCLA, RCRA, State Law claims and Superfund Sites), toxic torts (including Asbestos, Radon, Chinese Drywall and Welding Rod Fumes); and, infectious disease contamination (COVID-19; SARS; Ebola and, Legionnaire’s Disease).
Originally from New Jersey, Mr. Miele practiced in his home state and in New York for 10 years prior to admission to the Florida Bar in 2000. He began his career as a Home Office Supervisor with a division of AIG overseeing complex claims nationwide for certain AIG member insurance companies. While there, Mr. Miele gained considerable experience in the claim handling and resolution process which has proven invaluable throughout his professional career.
- New York
- Washington, D.C.
- U.S. District Court
- Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
- New York Law School – J.D.
- Seton Hall University – B.S. in Business Administration
- Claims for Business Income Loss Due to Construction Dust Denied in Pre-COVID Case, Insurance Journal, ft. Joseph Miele
- Recent 11th Circuit Court of Appeals Decision Could Have a Positive Impact for Insurers on COVID-19 Business Interruption Claims
- Property Coverage Update: COVID-19
- Construction-Defect Trends Vary by Jurisdiction, but They All Point to More Expensive and Creative Claims, CLM News, ft. Joseph Miele
- CLM Construction Conference, Joe Miele Speaking, Sept. 25-27, 2019 : Creative and Emerging Coverage Trends in Florida and Beyond
- The 2019 West Coast Casualty Construction Defect Seminar – Joe Miele Presenting – May 9-10, 2019 : Pitfalls and Possibilities - Litigating CD Coverage in Florida
- Joseph R. Miele Speaker at December ExecuSummit (December 4, 2018)