Joel T. Shackelford concentrates his practice in real estate, where he has significant experience in both transactions and litigation. He also serves as general counsel for various businesses in the distribution, entertainment, real estate, and technology industries.
Mr. Shackelford has successfully litigated and managed hundreds of matters involving general commercial litigation, construction law, employment law, environmental law, land use, municipal law, general liability defense, professional liability defense, real property, securities, and toxic torts.
As to his real estate clients in particular, Mr. Shackelford has gained a reputation for resolving a variety of complex and often high stakes issues. In the past two years alone, he has resolved more than $250,000,000 worth of such issues concerning purchase and sale agreements, lending, leasing, partnership disputes, and property management for multi-family properties, retail shopping centers, offices, and hotels. He publishes and comments frequently on these and other topics.
Mr. Shackelford received his juris doctor and masters in dispute resolution from Pepperdine University School of Law. Prior to that, he recieved his bachelor of science in economics, summa cum laude, along with his bachelor of business administration, summa cum laude, from Loyola Marymount University where he was the Valedictorian of the School of Economics. He was also a recipient of the Wall Street Journal Student Achievement Economics Award.
Along with being a licensed attorney in the State of California, Mr. Shackelford is also licensed by the State of California as a real estate broker.
- U.S. District Court
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Pepperdine University School of Law – J.D.
- Pepperdine University School of Law – M.D.R.
- Loyola Marymount University – B.B.A.
- summa cum laude
- Loyola Marymount University – B.S.
- summa cum laude
- Beverly Hills Chamber of Commerce, Economic Development Council Member
- International Business Fraternity of Delta Sigma Pi
- Alpha Sigma Nu
- Omicron Delta Epsilon
- Beta Gamma Sigma
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA)
- Southern California Super Lawyers – Rising Star (2012 – 2018)
- Wall Street Journal Student Achievement Economics Award (2005)
- “Is Triple Net Retail In A Death Spiral?” GlobeSt, ft. Joel Shackelford
- Appraisals of Taxable Possessory Interests on Public Real Property, FREA Echo
- Understanding and Defending Dual Agency Claims Against Real Estate Licensees, DRI – Riding the E&O Line
- Understanding & Defending Claims from the Client’s Perspective, ExecSense
- Silence Is Not Always Golden: When a Partner’s Instructions Go Unchallenged and an Associate’s Obligation to Speak Up, DRI’s The Whisper
- Risky Business: Coverage Denied to Attorney Simultaneously Practicing Law & Real Estate Brokerage, PLUS Journal