Jean Liu regularly represents domestic and London-based insurance carriers with respect to financial institution bonds, and commercial crime, employment practices liability, mortgage banker/broker professional liability, and directors and officers liability policies. Ms. Liu also has extensive litigation experience with disputes arising from commercial disputes, medical and legal malpractice, other professional liability, employment law, and privacy law. Ms. Liu counsels businesses on a wide range of issues, including those related to commercial contracts and data privacy (e.g., the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act, the California Consumer Privacy Act, and the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation).
At Loyola University Chicago School of Law, she earned certificates in health law and trial advocacy, and additionally served as Features Articles Editor for the Loyola Consumer Law Review, Marketing & Coordinating Editor for the Annals of Health Law, Director of Social Programming for the Asian Pacific American Law Students Association, and Research Assistant for the Director of Loyola’s Intellectual Property Program. Ms. Liu speaks fluent Mandarin Chinese and currently serves as the Second Vice President of the Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Chicago Area and Immediate Past President of the Chinese American Bar Association of Greater Chicago.
Ms. Liu was recently selected by the Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS) for its 2021 Diversity Leadership & Mentoring Program Cohort. In 2021, Ms. Liu was appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court to serve on the Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness.
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- U.S. District Courts
- Northern District of Illinois
- Southern District of Illinois
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law – J.D.
- Certificates in Trial Advocacy and Health Law
- University of California, Irvine – B.A.
- Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Chicago Area, Second Vice President
- Chinese American Bar Association of Greater Chicago, Immediate Past President
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- National Conference of Bar Presidents
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- The International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness (2021)
- Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Chicago Area: Second Vice President (2020-2021)
- National Conference of Bar Presidents: Leadership Advisory Board Member (2018-2021); Diversity Scholar (2018-2019)
- Public Interest Law Initiative: Young Professionals Board Member (2020-Present)
- Chinese American Bar Association of Greater Chicago: Board Member (2020-2021); President (2018-2020), Vice President (2016-2018)
- Illinois State Bar Association: Minority Bar CLE Planning Committee Member (2018)
- Chinatown Pro Bono Legal Clinic: Volunteer Attorney (2015-Present)
- University of California, Irvine Alumni Association – Chicago Chapter: President (2019-2020); Communications and Membership Outreach Chair (2017-2019)
- Kappa Kappa Gamma, Eta Lambda Chapter: Public Relations Adviser (2016-Present)
- Lawyers Helping Our Community Legal Clinic: Volunteer Attorney (2020-Present)
- “Presidential Leadership Award,” Chinese American Bar Association of Greater Chicago, 2020
- “Rising Star Award,” Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Chicago Area, 2019
- “Emerging Leader,” Mandarin Leader, 2018
- Seventh Circuit Finds that Certain BIPA Violations Cause Injury Sufficient to Confer Article III Standing
- Illinois and Federal Law Surrounding the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act Continues to Evolve with Recent 9th Circuit Decision
- KDV Alert: Cook County Circuit Court Decides that a Five Year Statute of Limitations Applies to BIPA Cases
- New Data Privacy Challenges for HR Executives, Daily Journal
- Fool Me Once: Insurance Coverage for Social Engineering Scams Under Judicial Review, PropertyCasualty360
- Panelist, Loyola University Chicago School of Law’s “Been There, Done That! A Discussion on Legal Careers,” October 20, 2020.
- Panelist, “The Next Lawsuit You Don’t See Coming: Biometrics,” ePlace Solutions, September 30, 2020
- Guest Lecturer, “Privacy in Employment Law,” Chicago-Kent College of Law, September 8, 2020
- Presenter, “BIPA,” Client Webinar, April 16, 2020
- Panelist – Loyola University Chicago School of Law’s “Interviewing like a Pro,” February 3, 2020
- Panelist – Chicago-Kent College of Law’s “Still I Rise: Navigating Law School as a First Generation Law Student,” October 29, 2019
- Guest Lecturer – Chicago-Kent College of Law’s “Privacy Rights in Employment,” September 24, 2019
- Speaker, 2019 ABA Bar Leadership Institute, March 15, 2019
- Panelist, 2018 NAPABA Convention in Chicago, November 8, 2018
- Sworn in as President of the Chinese American Bar Association : CABA Annual Installation Gala, October 11, 2018
- Moderator, ABA CLE Course hosted by the Chinese American Bar Association of Greater Chicago and the Chicago Committee of the Japanese American Bar Association, August 7, 2018