Emily Mertes focuses her practice in Labor and Employment Law. She is experienced in representing management in all phases of litigation as well as advice and counsel of clients. She has handled single plaintiff, multi plaintiff, and class action matters for a variety of public and private clients, from small family owned businesses to Fortune 100 companies. Ms. Mertes is also experienced in responding to administrative claims before various administrative agencies.
Ms. Mertes has experience in numerous areas of employment law, including claims for harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, misclassification of independent contractors, and wage and hour disputes in federal and state court. She regularly provides counsel on employee handbooks, progressive discipline, employee separation issues and employment contracts.
Ms. Mertes has also defended retailers and premises owners and operators in matters brought pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as well as the California Unruh Act and Disabled Persons Act.
- United States District Courts
- Northern District of California
- University of California, Hastings College of Law – J.D.
- University of California, Los Angeles – B.A.
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- Volunteer Adaptive Ski School Instructor for Disabled Sports
- Volunteer at San Francisco Food Bank
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award – Criminal Law