Anthony Proscia is a partner at Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck, LLP. His practice primarily involves the defense of professional liability claims, including attorney and accountant malpractice, as well as errors and omissions claims against brokers and agents within the insurance and real estate industries. His practice has also involved litigation relating to commercial, employment and general liability claims. Mr. Proscia’s practice is venued in state and federal courts, and includes representation during all phases of litigation, including trials and appellate matters.
During his career, Mr. Proscia has participated and prevailed in numerous trials and arbitrations as the principal and second-chair litigator. He handles his own appellate matters, including oral argument, and has obtained several orders affirming lower court dismissals as against his clients. Mr. Proscia has secured dismissals on behalf of many of his clients through dispositive motion practice. He has negotiated favorable settlements significantly below the original potential exposures, including outright discontinuances without any monetary contribution by his clients.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Proscia worked at two well-regarded national insurance defense firms, where he handled all phases of litigation relating to professional liability claims, including lawyers, accountants, insurance and real estate brokers, as well as brokers and dealers. He had also defended corporate entities, public school districts and religious institutions against general negligence, employment and premises liability claims.
Mr. Proscia has also worked as staff counsel for an insurance company, where he prosecuted approximately 4,000 subrogation actions arising from motor vehicle accidents, including property damage, medical benefits and un/underinsured benefits claims. During his tenure, he secured settlement and judgment recoveries totaling more than $10 million.
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- Second Circuit
- U.S. District Courts
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- Northern District of New York
- Saint John’s University School of Law – J.D.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill – B.A.
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers’ Association
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
Vice Chair Miscellaneous Professional Liability Committee
- Defense Research Institute
- McCormick & O’Brien, LLP v. Real Savvy, Media, Inc. (complete defense verdict on legal malpractice counterclaims)
- Molina v. Faust Goetz Schenker & Blee, LLP, 2017 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 13568 (S.D.N.Y. January 31, 2017)
- Harris-Thompson v. Riverhead Charter Sch. Bd. Of Trs., 2016 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 24113 (E.D.N.Y. February 23, 2016)
- Gerasimov v. Lazarus, 303171/2015 (Sup. Ct. Bronx Cty. September 29, 2015)
- Edwards v. Walsh, 706244/2013 (Sup. Ct. Queens Cty. November 6, 2014)
- Hall v. Wells Fargo N.A., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 46925 (S.D.N.Y. 2014)
- Betz v. Blatt, 116 A.D.3d 813 (2nd Dep’t 2014)
- Leskinen v. Halsey, 571 Fed. Appx. 36 (2nd Cir. 2014)
- Henkel v. Wagner, 553 Fed. Appx. 106 (2nd Cir. 2014)
- Seldon v. Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith, LLP, 116 A.D.3d 490 (1st Dep’t 2014)
- Francis v. Mirman Markovits & Landau, P.C., 29993/2010, NYLJ 12002583703771 (Sup. Ct. Kings Cty. 2013)
- Carolina Casualty Ins. Co. v. Gallagher Sharp, 940 F. Supp. 2d 569 (N.D. Ohio 2013) (summary judgment granted, as plaintiff)
- Goodnough v. Becker, 12-CV-00173 (N.D.N.Y. January 16, 2013)
- In re Estate of Carl Levine, 82 A.D.3d 524 (1st Dep’t 2011)
- LaBow v. Schellenberg, 10-4339 (2nd Cir. March 2, 2011)
- Brieter and Gura, LLP v. Robert Weiner, 13064-2011 (Dist. Ct. Nassau Cty. 2011)
- Furlender v. Sichenzia Ross Friedman Ference LLP, 79 A.D.3d 470 (1st Dep’t 2010)
- Breiter and Gura, LLP v. Leon Almeida, 37458-2009 (Dist. Ct. Nassau Cty. 2010)
- Lothian Cassidy LLC v. Ransom, 10-AP-7011 (W.D. Tex. Bankr. August 23, 2010)
- Red Hook/Gowanus Chamber of Commerce, Inc. v. Brightbill, 72 A.D.3d 403 (1st Dep’t 2010)
- In the Matter of Anonymous, 97 N.Y.2d 332 (2002)
- Lawyers of Distinction (2018)
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2016 – 2018)