Anna María Tejada concentrates her practice in labor and employment law on behalf of management, employment practices liability, directors and officers liability, professional liability and education law. Ms. Tejada represents employers, attorneys, school boards, parents and municipalities in state and federal courts as well as in administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Division on Civil Rights and the Office of Administrative Law. Ms. Tejada represents companies confronted with investigations and compliance audits by the Department of Labor and/or the equivalent state agencies, as well as in subsequent litigation, if necessary.
Ms. Tejada advises employers on a wide range of workplace issues, employment policies, restrictive covenants, employment contracts and compliance with federal and state laws. She assists employers in connection with hiring, discipline, and termination decisions and in implementing policies and strategies to prevent claims and lawsuits. Ms. Tejada drafts and reviews handbooks, as well as conducts sensitivity and training sessions on equal employment opportunity and harassment in the workplace.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Tejada practiced with a large New Jersey law firm and served as an Equal Justice Works Fellow for the Education Law Center where she assisted in enforcement proceedings of the landmark decisions of Abbott v. Burke. Ms. Tejada served as an appellate clerk for the Honorable John E. Wallace, Jr., now retired, from the Supreme Court of New Jersey and interned in law school for the Honorable John W. Bissell, United States District of New Jersey.
Ms. Tejada frequently participates in mentoring programs for inner city youths in her home town of Passaic, as well as other locations in New Jersey. Ms. Tejada is also KDV’s most enthusiastic New York Yankee fan.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, New Jersey
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Rutgers School of Law, Newark – J.D.
- Rutgers University – B.A.
- Executive Women of New Jersey – Board Member (2016-2019), President-Elect (January 2019-present)
- Latina Commissioner, HNBA Commission on the Status of Latinas in the Legal Profession (2012-2013, 2017-2018)
- Co-Chair, HBA-NJ Corporate Counsel Conference
- Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA), Regional President of Region III- New Jersey (2011 – 2012, 2014 -2017)
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- National Employment Law Council, Member
- HNBA Corporate Counsel Conference (September 2017) – National Leadership Team Member
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey, Past President (2014)
- HNBA Executive Leadership Program for Latina Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education Advisory Committee Member
- New Jersey Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- El-Hewie v. Corzine, et al. (U.S. District Court, District Court of New Jersey) – Served as lead counsel on a Section 1981 claim.
- Leonard v. Bergen County Special Services, et al. (Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division) – Served as lead defense counsel on an employment discrimination under the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination case.
- Soto v. Standard Group, Inc. (Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division) – Served as lead counsel on an employment discrimination matter and successfully obtained a dismissal of matter on motion for summary judgement.
- Zhang v. Julip Properties/Observer Plaza Condo Ass’n (Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division) –
Served as lead counsel on a discrimination matter and successfully obtained a dismissal of the appeal.
- Bogota, et al. v. The University Club, et al. (New York Supreme Court) – Served on the trial team for defendants of a major sexual harassment lawsuit.
- Northern Jersey Boy Scouts Council, Board Member and Scoutreach Committee Chair
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey, American Dream Pipeline Program, Chair (2013 – Present)
- Hispanic National Bar Association, New Jersey Women’s Empowerment, Leadership and Law Conference, Chair (2015 – 2016)
- Latinas United for Political Empowerment (LUPE), Political Action Committee Board Member (2012-2018)
- Top Women in the Law, New Jersey Law Journal (November 2018)
- Dominican Bar Association, Honoree (September 2018)
- NJ BIZ Best 50 Women in Business, Honoree (March 2016)
- American Bar Foundation – Fellow (May 2017)
- 2017 Friends of the Hispanic Research and Information Center (HRIC) Honoree (May 2017)
- Silver Beaver National Award, Northern Jersey Boy Scouts Council (May 2016)
- 2016 Executive Women of New Jersey Salute to Policy Makers Honoree
- Professional Lawyer of the Year Award, New Jersey Commission on Professionalism (October 2015)
- Outstanding Leadership Award, Morris County Organization for Hispanic Affairs (MCOHA)
- Diversity in the Profession Award, Bergen County Bar Association, Women Lawyers in Bergen
- 2015 Campeón de la Justicia Award, Alianza, Rutgers School of Law-Camden
- Honoree, 7th Annual Great Conversations, Morris Arts (April 2015)
- Community Service Award, Association of Latin American Law Students (March 7, 2013)
- Attorney of the Year, Statewide Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of New Jersey (October 2014)
- Good Scout Award, Northern Jersey Boy Scouts Council (June 2014)
- Women of Achievement Award, Women of Tri-County Luncheon (March 2014)
- 2013 Top Lawyer Under Forty Award, Hispanic National Bar Association
- “New Leader of the Bar,” New Jersey Law Journal (August 2012)
- Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver’s Shirley Chisholm Award for Service in the Law (April 2012)
- Honoree, 14th Annual Association of Latin American Law Students (February 2011)
- Anna Maria Tejada Co-Chair of HBANJ Corporate Counsel Conference (Nov 28, 2018) : Co-Chairperson
- HNBA Resume Webinar – featuring Anna María Tejada as a Panelist
- The Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey Hosts 14th Annual Sun, Surf, and Seminars : Recent Trends and Developments in Employment Law
- 36th Annual (NLRB) Labor Law Conference : NLRB Updates: What You Need to Know
- HNBA 2014 Corporate Counsel Conference : Saying Good-Bye is Hard to Do: Challenges of Employment Termination
- 13th Annual HBA-NJ Sun, Surf & Seminars : Hot Topics and Trends in Employment Law: Top Ten Ethical Complaints and Best Practices in Avoiding Them
- HBA-NJ 2011 Women’s Conference : Tips to Attaining Work-Life Balance
- HBA’s 11th Annual Sun, Surf & Seminars : Should Employers Use Social Media To Screen Job Applicants or Monitor Employees?
- New Jersey Hispanic Bar Association Seminar : Top Ten Ethics Complaints and How to Avoid Them
- Pan Gregorian Enterprises Restaurant Association presentation on Risk Avoidance : Protecting Yourself Against Allegations of Discrimination, Harassment, and Wage & Hour Violations
- HBANJ: 8th Annual Corporate Counsel Roundtable: Moderator and Co-Chair – January 23, 2018
- 14th Annual Sun, Surf, and Seminars : Recent Trends and Developments in Employment Law – May 6, 2015
- 36th Annual (NLRB) Labor Law Conference : NLRB Updates: What You Need to Know – Nov 21, 2014
- 13th Annual HBA-NJ Sun, Surf & Seminars : Hot Topics and Trends in Employment Law – May 1, 2014
- 13th Annual HBA-NJ Sun, Surf & Seminars : Top Ten Ethical Complaints and Best Practices in Avoiding Them – May 1, 2014
- HNBA 2014 Corporate Counsel Conference : Saying Good-Bye is Hard to Do: Challenges of Employment Termination – Mar 19, 2014
- New Jersey Hispanic Bar Association Seminar : Top Ten Ethics Complaints and How to Avoid Them – Oct 11, 2012
- Pan Gregorian Enterprises Restaurant Association presentation on Risk Avoidance : Protecting Yourself Against Allegations of Discrimination, Harassment, and Wage & Hour Violations – Jun 5, 2012
- HBA’s 11th Annual Sun, Surf & Seminars : Should Employers Use Social Media To Screen Job Applicants or Monitor Employees? – May 9, 2012
- HBA-NJ 2011 Women’s Conference : Tips to Attaining Work-Life Balance – Sep 1, 2011