Addressing the Ever-Changing Legal Demands of Clients in the Health Care Industry
Hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, physicians and other health care professionals operate in one of the most challenging and heavily regulated sectors of the economy. As the laws and regulations governing the health care industry continue to evolve and expand, health care providers and organizations need to have access to experienced attorneys who can help guide them through the complex legal matters they are likely to encounter.
The attorneys at KDV are well-equipped to address the diverse legal challenges facing members of the health care industry. We represent a broad array of institutional and individual providers throughout the health care sector, including:
- Nursing homes
- Managed care facilities
- Assisted living facilities
- Long-term care facilities
- Rehabilitation centers
- Other healthcare providers
The health care industry lawyers at KDV have a deep understanding of the complex legal landscape and rapidly changing business environment that health care providers operate within. We regularly advise clients in this sector on matters that uniquely affect the health care industry as well as the full range of legal matters that affect health care business operations.
Litigation for Health Care Facilities
Our health care industry attorneys regularly represent clients in a wide range of litigation and other disputes that affect their business, including:
- Medical malpractice claims
- Directors & Officers
- Professional licensing disputes
- Labor and employment law issues
- Commercial disputes
- General liability claims
- Healthcare Institution Defense
- Hospital Liability Defense
- Fraud and unfair business practice claims
- Contract disputes
- Defamation claims
- Trade secrets and non-compete litigation
- Workers compensation claims
- Privacy/cyber breaches
- Regulatory proceedings before government agencies
The lawyers at KDV are experienced in litigating routine and complex commercial disputes on behalf of businesses of all sizes. No matter the issue in dispute, we will draw on our deep bench of resources across the firm to help you reach a favorable resolution.
Managed Care Litigation
As the health care industry shifts toward an increasing reliance on managed care systems in an effort to reduce health care costs, managed care litigation is on the rise. Health care providers who are impacted by the practices employed by a health maintenance organization (HMO) or managed care organization (MCO) have the right to pursue claims against these organizations. Providers now routinely challenge the cost-containment techniques and approaches that insurers use as part of a managed care plan, which can compromise the quality of care a health care professional is able to provide to his or her patients.
Attorneys in the Managed Care practice at KDV represent health care organizations and providers in a variety of disputes with HMOs and MCOs, including:
- Disputes over payment practices, including claim payment failures and refusals as well as downcoding and bundling charges, which result in health care providers receiving significantly less than they are owed for services and procedures;
- Claims of fraud or unfair business practices, which may involve an HMO or MCO practice of limiting patient volume or referrals, as well as other practices that result in a loss of health care provider income; and
- Antitrust lawsuits, which seek to challenge HMO or MCO licensing agreements that restrict competition and reduce consumer choice within the health insurance market.
Managed care litigation can be complex and highly fact-specific, and HMOs and MCOs have the resources to aggressively defend against these claims. If you are a health care provider or organization and are considering filing a claim against an HMO or MCO, it is critical to hire an experienced health care industry lawyer to advise on the best course of action. KDV’s managed care litigation attorneys are accomplished trial attorneys and have a deep understanding of the health care insurance industry, including HMOs and MCOs. We can identify and guard against common defenses and pitfalls and will help you position yourself for success.
Contact the Health Care Industry Lawyers at KDV
At KDV, we recognize that every client’s situation is unique. We pride ourselves on developing innovative and viable solutions that are individually tailored to meet our clients’ goals and expectations. Whether our health care industry lawyers are representing a large health care institution, or an individual health care provider, our objective is to help our clients overcome their most demanding legal challenges.
Practice Group Leadership
Chair of Managed Care Practice Group
Diversity & Inclusion Committee Member
Co-Chair, Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice Group
|Fort Lauderdale, Florida , Tampa, Florida|
Diversity & Inclusion Committee Member
|Fort Lauderdale, Florida , Orlando, Florida|
|Co-Managing Partner of Florida Offices |
Co-Chair of Labor & Employment Law Practice Group
|Fort Lauderdale, Florida , Orlando, Florida , Tampa, Florida|
Chair of Insurance Regulatory & Transactional Practice Group
|Fort Lauderdale, Florida , Washington, D.C.,|
|Attorney||Fort Lauderdale, Florida|
- Nursing Homes Face Serious Liability Risks from COVID-19, Healthcare Risk Management, ft. Barbara Schabert - Jun 1, 2020
- Will Immunity Orders Enacted to Protect Nursing Homes Actually Limit Liability? Healthcare Business Today - Jun 1, 2020
- Assess legal risk, payer policies to head off hidden dangers of COVID-19 reopening, Decision Health Part B News, ft. Abbye Alexander - May 18, 2020
- 10 Steps to Help Make Your Practice Labor Compliant, Physician’s Practice, by Keith Gutstein - Dec 27, 2016
- An Employment Wellness Check for Medical Practices, Healthcare Business Today by Keith Gutstein - Sep 8, 2016