We are committed to promoting diversity in all aspects of our practice through the active recruitment, development and retention of lawyers and legal professionals with diverse backgrounds and life experiences.
At Kaufman Dolowich & Voluck (KDV), we take our role as citizens of the legal community very seriously. We are passionate advocates for our clients and dutiful stewards of the law. Equally important, we are committed to advancing our clients’ interests and our practice through the hiring, retention and promotion of lawyers and legal professionals from all backgrounds. To us, diversity is not an end, it is a means by which to achieve the high standards to which we subscribe.
Our Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives
Our efforts to promote diversity and inclusion in all aspects of our practice are led by Partner and Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer Katherine S. Catlos. Based in our San Francisco office, Katherine focuses her practice in the areas of employment and privacy law, and she brings a wealth of professional and personal insights to promoting the benefits of our firm’s diverse workforce, both internally and externally.
Katherine is also leading our firm’s initiative to achieve Mansfield Rule 3.0 certification in 2020. KDV was one of only 64 law firms to achieve Mansfield 2.0 certification in 2019, and we are one of just 99 law firms that have committed to participating in Mansfield 3.0.
Other examples of our firm’s recent diversity and inclusion initiatives include:
- In November 2017, KDV’s Women’s Initiative partnered with a global insurance provider to host a screening of the documentary film “Balancing the Scales,” which delves into the challenges facing women lawyers. In the film, lawyer and filmmaker Sharon Rowen highlights inspiring stories of women lawyers of all ages who work to help women and girls worldwide.
- In January 2018, KDV’s Women’s Initiative hosted Dr. Arin Reeves, author of “One Size Never Fits All”. Her presentation focused on recognizing and understanding the differences between how women and men communicate, work, develop business and lead in law firms.
- In April 2018, KDV’s Women’s Initiative co-sponsored “A Conversation with Pamela Ryckman, author of Stiletto Network” with another multinational insurance carrier in New York City. More than 200 KDV attorneys, clients and others spent an inspiring afternoon with the author discussing the topic of empowering women to work together.
- KDV has also co-hosted multiple programs with the PLUS Women’s Networking Imitative that have attracted speakers with national reputations.
Our firm has hosted, co-hosted and participated in many other diversity and inclusion-focused events with our clients as well. We encourage all of our attorneys to foster relationships with our clients, and we believe strongly in the value of forging personal connections that extend beyond the business setting. As a lawyer working at KDV, you will have access to our firm’s leaders and our clients’ key stakeholders, and we will provide you with the opportunity to build the career, relationships and reputation you desire.
We Encourage Our Lawyers to Be Leaders in Their Communities
In addition to these types of firm-wide initiatives, many of our lawyers are personally involved with organizations of their choosing that promote diversity and inclusion both within and outside of the practice of law. We encourage all of our lawyers to assume active leadership roles in these and other types of professional organizations.
Currently, we employ lawyers who are, or who have previously been, actively involved with organizations including:
- Black Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles
- California Minority Counsel Program
- Chinese American Bar Association of Greater Chicago
- Florida Association of Women Lawyers
- Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey
- Hispanic National Bar Association
- Korean American Lawyers Association
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- Queens Bench Bar Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- New Jersey Statewide Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Polish American Leadership Political Action Committee (PAL-PAC)
Are You Interested in Joining KDV?
We believe that our law firm should reflect the diverse world we serve. If we sound like your type of firm, we encourage you to get in touch. Visit our Careers page to learn more about working at KDV.